Heading Into Summer, These 5 Realities Define the Workplace
The popular song may tell us it’s “Summertime, and the livin’ is easy,” but the environment in today’s workplace is not. While the pandemic may finally be in our rearview mirror, its impact continues to be felt by both employees and employers, and that won’t change for the foreseeable future.
The ways that organizations recruit, retain and engage employees have changed. So, too, have the processes by which companies operate. Employers surveyed for our Spring 2021 Alaant Hiring Index weighed in on where things stand, and based on their input, here are the five realities shaping today’s workplace.
1. Employees are returning to the office. The days of working from home are dwindling for many professionals, if they haven’t already disappeared. Almost half of employers, 47%, told us they are back to regular in-office schedules. Similarly, the number with a majority of employees working remotely dropped, from 56% last fall to 42% in the spring.
2. Employers are hiring. Businesses see economic recovery on the way, and they’re trying to put staff in place to take advantage. More than half, 51%, say hiring is up from a year ago; 60% expect it to rise for the rest of the year; and 70% are optimistic about job growth. Those numbers are encouraging, however…
3. Hiring is a significant challenge. As employers jump into the talent pool together, there aren’t enough candidates to go around, Four of five employers told us that attracting and acquiring strong employees is challenging, a sharp increase from 55% last fall. And they overwhelmingly point to a shortage of qualified candidates as the primary reason.
4. Remote and hybrid work are here to stay. Fully half of employers plan to maintain a hybrid workforce, with a mix of in-office and remote employees. One of the great lessons of the pandemic is that workers can be just as, and sometimes more productive, working remotely. The employers that offer flexibility will be better able to land and keep the best talent.
5. Streamlined recruiting works. As organizations tackle the challenges associated with hiring, they need to remain vigilant in using strategies and tactics that worked during the pandemic. Conducting virtual interviews and onboarding, accelerating job searches, actively networking, and offering opportunities for flexible and remote work will give employers the advantage they need in an ultra-competitive marketplace.
The workplace has changed, and employers must be proactive and creative to build successful teams. Need assistance creating or refining a recruiting strategy that addresses the realities of today’s work environment? Contact us today and let’s get the conversation started!
Miranda March, Digital Communications Specialist
Miranda has a real knack for connecting the dots between employers and job seekers. She prides herself on keeping a pulse on the national and local hiring markets. In her downtime, she enjoys cooking new foods and spending time with her family. A little-known fact about Miranda is her love of video games, new and old.